Panhandle Lumber Company

A story in Gray County Heritage states that the Panhandle Lumber Company was at one time located in the 300 block of South Cuyler, extending south to the Alfred Holmes house on the northwest corner of Cuyler and Craven. The first Pampa city directory (1929) lists the Panhandle Lumber Company at 209 North Cuyler with L. N. McCullough as manager. The company advertised lumber, builders hardware, paints, bricks, rig timbers, windmills, water well supplies, etc. The city directory for 1930 states that after March 1, 1930, the Panhandle Lumber Company would be at 412-18 West Foster (later 420 West Foster).

Photo of Eloise Lane

Eloise Lane

The 1940 directory lists W. F. Ford as manager of the Panhandle Lumber Company. L. N. McCullough left Pampa to go to Albuquerque, New Mexico, where he had a lumber yard and a lumber mill. His son, Lawrence, became a psychiatrist. Directories for 1945 and 1946 list Houston Bros., Inc. (formerly Panhandle Lumber Company) with Jack R. Sullivan as manager, but the 1947 directory list.s Panhandle Lumber Company again. Manager Jack Sullivan was followed by L. H. Cos- sell, Otis Nace and Cecil W. Dalton, manager in 1954 and 1955. Cecil W. (Spud) Dalton was manager of the Panhandle Lumber Company, General Building Supplies from 1956 until 1960 when it became Houston Lumber Company. He continued as manager until 1977 when Houston Lumber Company of Texas, owned by Gary and Greg Dalton, purchased the business. Gary and Greg Dalton continue to operate the company and serve the citizens of Pampa and the surrounding com- munity.

The company lists General Building Supplies and Anchor Paints in the 1999 city directory. L. Neil McCullough, a former manager of the Panhandle Lumber Company, was the son of Samuel M. and Isabell McCullough who came from Ohio to Pampa about 1909. Sam McCullough became connected with C. B. Barnard, who owned one of the first general stores in Pampa, and worked with Barnard for nine years before he re- tired. Sam and Isabell McCullough lived at 207 North Gray. After a long illness Sam McCullough died on February 21, 1934, and was buried in Fairview cemetery. His survivors included his wife Isabell; two children, Mrs. E. E. Mead of Miami and Neil McCullough of Pampa; and two grandchildren, Martha Lucille and Lawrence McCullough.

In the summer or l934, the First United Methodist Church of Pampa organized two mission churches: McCullough Memorial Methodist Church at 1910 Alcock and Harrah Chapel at 709 Barnes. The two mission churches were made possible through memorials by Mrs. Sam McCullough and Mr. and Mrs. W. W. Harrah. In 1954 McCullough Memorial Methodist Church was moved to 918 Buckler and became St. Paul United Methodist Church. McCullough Street, named for Sam McCullough, is listed for the first time in the Pampa city directory for 1947. It begins at 1300 Barnes and extends west- ward to U. S. Highway 60. * * *

(The correct title for Museum Mementos for November 12, 2000 is “Chaplain during World War I was Rev. C. E, Lancaster.)

Over 200 Articles, written by Eloise Lane, were published in the Pampa News. These articles may be accessed by clicking on each section below. A list of articles will be revealed that are linked to a page containing the text of the article.

Closed Accordian Default Hidden

Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.