Pampa Buildings In 1902

The museum is presenting its pictures of buildings that are known (or believed) to have been in Pampa before the end of 1902. Doubtless there were a few other buildings, but information and pictures are not available.

Photo of Eloise Lane

Eloise Lane

  1. The section house, moved from Kansas by the railroad about 1888, is probably the first building at Pampa (the boxcar depot only resembled a building). Originally at 315 W. Atchison and now at 936-938 S. Hobart, it is believed to be the only existing building that was at Pampa in 1902.
  2. The boarding house of White Deer Lands at 116 W. Atchison (near the gazebo in McCarley Park) was constructed in the fall of 1891, and the first tree planted about that time still remains in the northeast corner of the park. In 1902 the boarding house was the headquarters for the Matador Land and Cattle that leased 345,000 acres of the White Deer Lands from 1899 to 1902. Probably soon after the Matadors left in the summer, A. A. Holland bought the building and began to add rooms for the Holland Hotel.
  3. Also in the fall of 1891 the White Deer Lands company house was con- structed at 318 W. Atchison for company employees and to serve as the first office of White Deer Lands in Pampa.
  4. The home of Thomas H. Lane, section foreman, station agent and first postmaster of Pampa, was constructed at 221 E. Atchison about 1896.
  5. The Johnson Mercantile Company store at 105 N. Cuyler was probably constructed soon after J. F. Johnson of Canadian bought the first commercial lots in Pampa on May 24, 1902.
  6. The livery stable at the corner of 100 S. Gillespie and East Foster managed by George Thut in 1902, is probably the stable purchased by J. C. Rider in 1903. A function of the livery stable was to furnish transportation (by horse and buggy) from Pampa to the courthouse at Lefors.
  7. The house at 109 S. Wynne was probably built by the end of 1902 since J. T. Crawford bought one of the first residential lots sold. The house was bought bought by J. S. Wynne in 1907. 8. The first schoolhouse at 513 E. Francis was probably built in late fall of 1902, but it was not used until the school year of 1903-04.

Over 200 Articles, written by Eloise Lane, were published in the Pampa News. These articles may be accessed by clicking on each section below. A list of articles will be revealed that are linked to a page containing the text of the article.

Closed Accordian Default Hidden

Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.