skip to Main Content

Lateral Entry Plans

Plan Overview

All plans of study (with the exception of Birth – Kindergarten, Counseling, Social Worker, Special Education) have two parts: Licensure Content Area, and Pedagogy. A list of colleges/universities offering courses that have been approved by the RALC to satisfy competencies for your plan of study is found on this page.

To find approved courses for your content area or pedagogy requirements, follow the steps below.

  1. Select your Lateral Entry Licensure or Pedagogy area from the drop-down menus on your left.
  2. Select the college or university where you want to take the class. Approved classes are listed by prefix and course title.

If you prefer to take a course not listed on this site, you must seek written approval from your RALC Director prior to enrollment. Written requests must include the competency you wish to satisfy, the name of the institution where you want to take the course, the course prefix, title, and official description from the institution’s catalog.

There are two parts to most plans of study: Pedagogy competencies (the science of teaching courses) and Licensure Area competencies (the content courses specific to your area of licensure). The areas of B-K, School Counseling, Pre-School Add-on, School Social Worker, Special Education/Adapted Curriculum, and Special Education/General Curriculum have a one-page plan of study because the pedagogy competencies are built-in with the Licensure Area competencies. All other licensure areas that the RALC evaluates have a two-page plan of study.

Courses must be taken to satisfy empty cells on your plan of study. Some competencies on your plan must be taken at a four-year university that has an approved teacher education program, while others can be met through the community college.  Certain competencies can be met through your school system with staff development (CEU) credit. Your plan of study lists where each competency may be met.

With this in mind, it is important to make a plan for completing the requirements. Since certain courses are not offered each semester, it is important to contact the colleges and universities where you may take the course(s) and find out when and how the courses are offered (face-to-face, online, hybrid, etc.). Some of the institutions have provided that information and is noted on the courses tab.

Back To Top
×Close search