Families of C. B. Barnard and Robert E. Williams Were Pioneers

Charles Berkley Barnard (1865-1939) came from Kentucky to Texas in the late 1800s and settled temporarily in Hill County where he married Alton Virginia Fox (1869-1935). Later they moved to Henrietta, Texas, where they managed a small hotel or rooming house. After living several years in Clay County, they came to the Panhandle in the late 1890s and began to grow wheat on a farm near the town of White Deer.

Photo of Eloise Lane

Eloise Lane

During the next 20 years, C. B. Barnard enlarged his farm and built a com- bination dry goods and grocery store in Pampa at 102 South Cuyler. He was among several local citizens who were instrumental in starting the first bank at Pampa. The C. B. Barnard home in Pampa was at 221 North Somerville. The children of C. B. and Alton Barnard were Thomas Harrison Barnard (1891- 1961); Anna Bell Barnard (1901-1982), who married M. A. Graham; and Eunice Barnard (1904-1988), who married B. O. Lilly. *** Robert Eugene Williams, born in 1870, and Martha “Mattie” Essary, born in 1874 in Decatur County, Tennessee, were married on Christmas Day in 1892.

Their first home was at Nimrod where he farmed and operated a grocery and hardware store. With two other families, they loaded their belongings on a chartered railroad car and moved to Pampa in 1905. The three families shared a three-bedroom home until each family could build its own home.

When they arrived, Pampa was a small village with a ten-pupil school at 513 East Francis and one water well. Water was hauled in barrels from the single com- munity well located in the 100 block of North Gillespie. Supplies came by train from Amarillo and clothing by mail order from Sears Roebuck and Montgomery Ward. Robert Williams worked as blacksmith, carpenter and contractor. Later he was elected Justice of the Peace and then served as County Judge of Gray County in 1911- 12. Both Robert and Martha Williams helped to build the First Baptist Church build- ing at 120 West Kingsmill, which was dedicated on September 12, 1915. He donated his labor to erect the concrete brick structure, and she helped to stage many ice cream suppers and bazaars. After the death of Robert Williams in 1927, Martha operated a shop in Pampa for several years before she moved to Decatur to live with her daughter, Lillian Barnard. When Martha died, at the age of 105, her body was brought to Pampa to be interred beside her husband in Fairview Cemetery.

Thomas Harrison Barnard, son of C. B. and Alton Barnard, and Lillian Williams, daughter of County Judge and Mrs. Robert Williams, were married in 1912. At that time T. H. “Harry” Barnard was working as a pharmacist at the Pampa Drug Store at 107 North Cuyler. Their home was at 420 West Kingsmill. During the 1920s, T. H. Barnard operated the Pampa Electric Company at 109 1/2 North West and raised wheat on a small farm west of Pampa. He was a member of the Masonic Lodge at Pampa. Lillian Barnard belonged to the First Baptist Church and the Eastern Star at Pampa.

In later years she served as Worthy Matron of Texas in 1944-45. In 1931 T. H. and Lillian Barnard moved to Lubbock to operate the Blue Bon- net Laundry. They retired in the 1940s and moved to Decatur, Texas. After the death of T. H. Barnard, Lillian married Colonel Stanton Parker and moved to Fort Worth. The children of T. H. and Lillian Barnard are Wanda Stone, Pauline Greene, Ruth Collins, Aleta Burns, Marie Lilly and Berkley Barnard.

(From information sent to the White Deer Land Museum in 1981 by Wanda Stone.)

Over 200 Articles, written by Eloise Lane, were published in the Pampa News. These articles may be accessed by clicking on each section below. A list of articles will be revealed that are linked to a page containing the text of the article.

Closed Accordian Default Hidden

Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.